Voice Actor Job Description
We are looking for a vibrant young individual who enjoys working in a highly efficient, creatively charged environment and embraces the challenge of portraying unique personas through riveting radio drama. Innovative creative concepts and artistic versatility are our core creative principles. Self-motivated, tenacious, and abstract thinking are essential qualities we are looking for. Lastly, a background, passion, and understanding of Botswana’s media industry is a competency that we are eager to see in any applicant.
|Department:||Creative Department||Contract Type:||Part-Time, Project-Based|
|Place of Work:||Anywhere||Working Hours||10 hrs PW (Monday – Friday)|
|Reports to:||CEO/Creative Director||Salary:||P10 – P15 per hour|
Spotlight is a semi-noir crime thriller radio drama set in a parallel version of Gaborone. It follows the misadventures of our main protagonist Grimm, a spectacular up-and-coming rapper developing his music career (show soundtrack). He finds himself ensorceled with the stunning young Maude whose family turns out to be harbouring many dark secrets. Spotlight is 100% locally owned, produced and distributed, and does well to showcase the versatility, diversity, and self-sufficiency of the various talents-turned-enterprises found in Botswana. One of BLXCKHIPPY ENTERTAINMENT’S core objectives is to support local art and artists, so adopting Spotlight as its flagship radio drama has created employment for local creatives as well as given them something to add to their profiles.
- Listen to and comprehend instructions for voiceover projects.
- Study actors in order to determine their specific personalities.
- Practice voiceovers to set quality and tone.
- Obtain instruction and guidance for voice quality, tone, and speed.
- Read scripts in order to determine what needs to be said.
- Provide initial voiceover takes.
- Meet with directors and go over scripts in order to understand what needs to be said, and how.
- Read the script once, and acquire guidance for changes.
- Provide takes until one is finalized.
- Perform innovations, for example, multiple voices and voice changes.
- Develop new voices for mimicry projects.
- Bring out the personality of the character through constant practice.
- Alter voice pitch depending on the scene being voiced over for.
- Ensure that the quality of voice remains the same throughout the voiceover session.
- Provide a voice for Radio Drama, by assuming a narrative or a creative tone.
- Practice different accents.
- Deliver the same lines in a number of different ways.
- Sing songs related to the character, both for projects where the voice has been lent, and those voiced over by other actors.
- Provide a voice for different projects such as demos
- Tweak voice in order to ensure that quality metrics are met.
What are you expected to do?
We are looking for a Voice Actor to provide the voice for voiceovers in radio commercials and drama. Voiceover artists provide voices for characters including those in feature dramas, programs, and short stories. They also use their talents to do voiceovers in radio commercials, audio dramas. These roles may also involve singing, although it is not uncommon for a second voice actor to be cast as the character’s singing voice if the actor performing the speaking role cannot sing.
- A minimum of 1 year’ Voice Acting experience, particularly with, but not limited to radio/podcasting, commercial and emerging forms of creative content.
- Brilliant interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have in-depth knowledge of brand development and multichannel marketing models.
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker.
- Prioritizing, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to create and deliver performances tailored to the audience needs
- Proven working experience as Voice Acting
- Incorporate feedback and take/give direction well
- Flexible working arrangements
- Investment in training and development
- 28 days of annual leave per year
We will be carrying out the Auditions virtually for this post.
All you need is
- A Smartphone with a decent microphone
- Internet Connection
How to Submit your Audition
Choose your preferred monologue script to use for your Audition and record your best monologue via phone or computer and submit it below via this webpage on the Application Form.
1. Adventureland’ by Greg Mottola
Character: James is 22 and just coming back to his home town after graduating from college.
Age Range: 20’s
Summary: James tells Em about his first time.
JAMES: Um. We’re talking about intercourse? Well, okay, um… There were a few times that I could’ve done that. But none of those times were quite right. (defensive) There were circumstances. For instance, okay, junior year I dated this girl, Sue Hornick. Sue was kind of prude. One day, I was reading some Shakespeare and realized – I don’t really love this person… It was one of the sonnets. Y’know, about authentic love. I thought this isn’t it, I have to breakup. I went straight to Sue’s house and was literally about to tell her – and that’s the night she said she finally wanted to have sex. Can you believe it? That was the night!
2. THE BREAKFAST CLUB by John Hughes
Character: Andrew Clark is a high school jock who’s got issues with his father.
Age Range: Late Teens
Summary: Andrew tells the group the reason he got detention.
More: Watch the Movie
ANDREW: Do you guys know what, uh, what I did to get in here? I taped Larry Lester’s buns together. Yeah, you know him? Well then you know how hairy he is, right? Well, when they pulled the tape off, most of his hair came off and some, some skin too… And the bizarre thing is, is that I did it for my old man… I tortured this poor kid, because I wanted him to think that I was cool. He’s always going off about, you know, when he was in school… all the wild things he used to do. And I got the feeling that he was disappointed that I never cut loose on anyone, right… So, I’m… I’m sitting in the locker room, and I’m taping up my knee. And Larry’s undressing a couple lockers down from me. Yeah… he’s kinda… he’s kinda skinny, weak. And I started thinking about my father, and his attitude about weakness. And the next thing I knew, I uh, I jumped on top of him and started wailing on him… And my friends, they just laughed and cheered me on. And afterwards, when I was sittin’ in Vernon’s office, all I could think about was Larry’s father. And Larry havin’ to go home and… and explain what happened to him. And the humiliation… f—ing humiliation he mustuv felt. It mustuv been unreal…
I mean… (he’s crying) I mean, how do you apologize for something like that? There’s no way… it’s all because of me and my old man. Oh God, I f—ing hate him! He’s like this… he’s like this mindless machine that I can’t even relate to anymore… “Andrew, you’ve got to be number one! I won’t tolerate any losers in this family… Your intensity is for s—! Win. Win! WIN!!!” You son of a b—!
You know, sometimes, I wish my knee would give… and I wouldn’t be able to wrestle anymore. And he could forget all about me…
3. THE PARENT TRAP by David Swift, Nancy Meyers & Charles Shyer
Character: Elizabeth James is Hallie and Annie’s mother, and the unwitting subject to their reuniting scheme.
Age Range: 30’s
Summary: Elizabeth suddenly gets worried about meeting up with her ex-husband.
ELIZABETH: I can handle seeing Nick Parker after all these years. People see their ex’s all the time, don’t they? Not to worry. I’ll take care of everything. Not-to-worry.
I’m sorry, I can’t handle this. I haven’t seen or heard from Nick Parker in over eleven years and suddenly I’m flying halfway across the world to… I’m not mature enough for this. If the man didn’t make me so nuts, I’d still be married to him. We came up with this-arrangement so we’d never have to see each other again. Look at me, Martin, have you ever seen me like this? Don’t answer that. (pacing) What if he doesn’t recognize me? Be honest, Martin, how old do I look? No, don’t answer that either. Hey, what am I worried about? He could be fat or bald. Or both
Your Audio Clip must fit the following criteria:
- 60 Second
- MP3 Audio Format
After recording your Audio Clip, attach it to your Application in the last file Attachment field and submit.
Pre Employment Checks
- Receipt of three satisfactory references
- Proof of eligibility to work in the Republic of Botswana
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact our Creative Department at email@example.com
You must sign in to apply for this position.